Becoming the Pin-Up Girl

I'm on a journey from obesity to health.. and I'm hoping to reveal my inner Pin-Up Girl along the way ;-)

Monday, August 06, 2007

My first WLS complication

I ended up in the ER on Saturday night, with what ended up being a kidney stone.  It all started around 6 o'clock, just as we were entering the movies to see the "Simpson's Movie".  Within 10 minutes I was in so much pain that I had to ask Chris to take me home.  At this point, I really though I just had some bad gas.  I got home, jumped in the tub to try to calm down and waited.  The pain just got worse.  Chris called Dr. U - he recommended that I not wait more than an hour to get to the hospital.  I decided that I would wait a bit in hopes that I would feel better.  I never did - the pain centralized to my right abdomen and it started to throb.  We called Dr. U back and had him call the ER to tell them that I was coming.  I hobbled down the stairs and fell into the car - I was in so much pain.  That was a really awful car ride.  When I got to the ER, they got an IV started, took a blood sample, and then FINALLY gave me some pain relief.  They started with morphine, which didn't help much.  So then they went to dilaudid.  Better.. much better.  I had to drink 2 cups full of juice, water, and a contrast liquid to get me ready for a CT scan.  The CT scan found the kidney stone.  We were so relieved that it wasn't anything intestinal.  They basically told me that I would have to pass the stone, and that I would feel instantly better.  So I was sent home with lots of drugs, told to keep the liquids coming, and to come back if nothing had happened in 48 hours.  Thankfully it didn't take that long.  I finally passed the thing around 2pm on Sunday.  So - I'm fine.  I'm going to have to do some research about this, because I definitely don't want to go through this again.


Blogger Change for Good said...

I am glad you are feeling better!

What type of surgery did you have? You are doing so awesome with your progress!


7:03 PM  
Blogger Melinda said...

Oh man, poor Danyele! Glad you are feeling better now, kidney stones suck in so many ways!

9:04 PM  
Blogger Too Fat To Fly... said...

Oh dear, what a horrible experience for you!

Still, at least you were able to eventually rid yourself of the offending item, LOL.

I hope you are well and truly on the mend now, Danyele...


8:42 AM  
Blogger Shel said...

Ouch! Really, you couldn't figure out a better way to spend your Saturday night? Were the ER docs cute at least? lol I'm glad you're feeling better and I'm sorry you had to go through so much suckiness. Let us know what you find out in your research, k? xoxo

12:26 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

Oh my! I've heard the only thing that hurts as bad as a kidney stone is giving birth. YOW!

I'm glad you're back and ok. I know my friend who is prone to kidney stones was told to drink a LOT and avoid caffeine and pop. Sigh.

2:36 PM  
Blogger mamacita chilena said...

holy crap, what a scare!

I'm so glad you're ok and that it was nothing worse. Take care!

2:52 PM  
Blogger Dagny said...

Holy cow, remember when I wrote about going to the doctor a couple of weeks ago? I was having pain the doctor said WAS A KIDNEY STONE!!! It had been bothering me just a little until one day it persisted so I got myself to the doctor. Later that day, it was GONE. She said it must have been very tiny and was hurting because it was moving around.

I'm cutting back on my calcium as it may have been interfering with my iron absorption anyway.

Take care, don't get another one!!!

3:38 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

Man, I'm glad to hear you're better!. By the way, great job on the swimming. I've been threatening to get in the pool, and have to, if I'm going to tri in Disney next year. I enjoy the pool... not sure why it's such a challenge for me to get my a$$ in it! LOL

3:20 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

Ouch! I 'm glad it wasn't anything too too serious. PS: So inspired with the swimming-- I know you are holding off for now but let me tell you, I did a -- if she can, I can. So much inspiration!

4:14 AM  
Blogger Amber said...

Glad you are feeling better! Ouch!!!

8:42 AM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

As WLS patients, I think we ignore a lot of pain thinking it's just gas. I'm so glad you got your skinny butt to the hospital and got good drugs.

Hope you are on the up side of things.


4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home