Becoming the Pin-Up Girl

I'm on a journey from obesity to health.. and I'm hoping to reveal my inner Pin-Up Girl along the way ;-)

Monday, July 09, 2007

Taking the plunge

I finally got up the nerve to contact one of the coaches of the Manatees - a masters swim league in Oakland. If you've been reading BTPUG for awhile, then you know that my #1 post-op goal is to begin masters level swimming. Back when I wrote this post, it all seemed like such a big, scary, far-off thing.. but now here I am. I'm finally back to the size I was when I started competing in high school (and about 15-20 lbs smaller than when I stopped competing). I've been working out for a while.. and I feel good. I still have trouble with the range of motion in my left arm and shoulder, but I think with good coaching, I could regain it. So last night, I felt ready. I sent them an email asking a few questions.. and today I got a call from a super nice guy named Brian. I started out by telling him my history.. about the WLS, about my injuries, about my hesitation. He immediately put my mind at ease. He said that the coaching staff is happy to work with anyone who wants to swim.. anyone who really loves it and is willing to commit to making it a part of their lives. He's worked with cardiac patients who are rehabilitating, plenty of people working toward weight loss, and even some people dealing with psychiatric issues that are looking for a positive outlet for stress and emotions. I wanted to reach through the phone and hug the guy. This is it - this is what I need.. what I really really want. (I'm trying so hard not to start crying right now.. I'm at work) My mind keeps rolling back to memories of being immersed in water.. feeling totally connected to my body .. shutting out all of the negative thoughts in my mind and just gliding along. I can't wait to have that back in my life.

So - the plan. Brian recommended that I come by one night this week to check out the facility and meet a few of the other swimmers and one of the evening coaches (there are 3 or 4 of them, from what I understand). If I like what I see, he wants me to come back on Saturday morning when he will be coaching and do my first session. I can't wait!!!

11 Comments:

Blogger Dagny said...

FANTASTIC!!!! Go buy the coolest most high-tech swimsuit and turn into a maniac about swimming, getting practically drugged out on extreme endorphin highs!!!!
(Sound like somebody you know?)
Dagny

9:02 PM  
Blogger Mamacita Chilena said...

YAY! I'm so excited for you!!!!!

You're allowed to cry happy tears every once in a while :)

12:51 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

This is awesome. I never competitively swam, but I LOVE to swim. We'll have to talk about it as I get further into my journey, because I want to swim too! I'll take my inspiration from you.

Congratulations. And PS-- you look like a pin-up girl. Whoo-hoo!

Kim

4:16 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

Yeah, you have arrived!! Goals are starting to be met!! Have fun and enjoy your experiences

7:50 AM  
Blogger elasticwaist said...

I find old school pin-up bodies inspiring, so I love all the pictures on your site. And an athletic goal? That's even more inspiring. Way to go!

8:14 AM  
Blogger Amber said...

This is wonderful!

9:16 AM  
Blogger Shel said...

These are the moments that you should always remember. This is the reason you have gone through all of this. The pain, the cravings, all of it are nothing compared to reaching these types of goals. You are 100% capable of getting out there and kicking some ass. I'm so proud of you!! xoxo

9:35 AM  
Blogger Katrina said...

congratulations!!! i am so incredibly proud of you.

7:06 AM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

You go girl!!

1:02 PM  
Blogger Dagny said...

Hey that post from last year that you linked to... I commented to it. What I said came true, didn't it? I keep my promises.
Dagny

5:28 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

You found the perfect photo to go with your post - love it!

I, too, have powerful memories of swimming and what it meant to me. I resonate with your feeling of being reconnected to it.

You are a great inspiration - to chase your goals (in a SWIMSUIT, no less) is so admirable.

May you enjoy the cool ripples in the water and the force of your arms and legs as they move the current around your body that you've worked so hard with and for.

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home