Becoming the Pin-Up Girl

I'm on a journey from obesity to health.. and I'm hoping to reveal my inner Pin-Up Girl along the way ;-)

Monday, June 25, 2007

It's All About the Benjamins, Baby..

.. in the immortal words of Puff Daddy and Lil Kim..

So I've lost 101 lbs since surgery and 125 from my highest weight. It's a really cool feeling, and yet those numbers make me cringe a little. "You've lost HOW much weight?''.. as in "You were HOW fat?" I've had a lot of questions recently about how much more I want to lose. When I say about 40 lbs, I get the "oh no.. that's way too much" reaction. But I don't think it is. I think the problem is that noone has ever seen me that thin.. they've hardly gotten used to me at this size and the thought of me being smaller is somehow disconcerting. For example, yesterday I went to my niece Sierra's 7th birthday party and saw lots of friends and family. My sister's best friend gave me lots of compliments and asked what size I was wearing now. When I told her that I was starting to wear a 12, the expression on her face changed. "Oh.. that's what I wear." And? Is it somehow threatening that the former fat girl is the same size as you.. and will be getting smaller? I just don't know what to say in situations like that. I can take a compliment just fine.. I've learned to smile and say thank you and mean it. But I just don't want to discuss my body with people anymore. I just want people to see the new me and adjust.. like I'm adjusting.

14 Comments:

Blogger Melinda said...

First of all, I *love* that dress! Where'd you get it??

Secondly, having seen the way people are about pregnant women (eg constant comments of "Wow, you're so BIG!") and injured people (eg "Wow, how'd you do THAT to yourself?") I'm not surprised that people feel the need to comment continuously about the major changes. Not that it makes it any less annoying, of course.

All I know is you deserve big props for not gloating in response to her disappointment that she's the same size as you, because I probably would have.

2:39 PM  
Blogger Katrina said...

screw them! it is just their insecurities, but you are an intelligent woman and probably know that already. as long you are leading a healthy lifestyle your body will stop when it gets to where it should be. people also have to remember that you aren't very tall, so your ideal and healthy size might be a bit smaller than those of us a bit taller. i am almost 5'8" and was wearing 10's and 12's before i got pg, yet i am thrilled at the idea of you passing me up--or is it passing me down?

2:41 PM  
Blogger arielfreak said...

You look AMAZING in that dress. Stunning.

And yeah, we are a threat. Hell I admit I always loved having someone fatter than me in a group. Not that it happened very often before. Well, the reality is now it does. Seeing someone who used to be the biggest, or at least bigger than you approach your size or shrink smaller than you has to be very unsettling for many people.

3:08 PM  
Blogger Amber said...

YOU LOOK FREAKING AMAZING!!!! Way to go!!! WOOT!

And for the haters... ugh. I feel your pain already and I know it's only going to get worse. The whole, "Well that's what size I wear..." comment is getting old. I have been getting it when ppl ask what my goal size is. I agree... why can't ppl just accept the new us that emerges and keep their (underhanded) comments to themselves! :)

5:24 PM  
Blogger Dagny said...

OMGOMGOMG. Lady it's been too long without a clear photo like this. I'm sitting here with tears coming to my eyes. What a transformation! Amazing. Just amazing. Gorgeous.
Dagny

8:17 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

You are simply stunning and what size clothing you wear is between you and your clothes IMHO...
You've done a great job, keep up the work and that dress is fabulous.

5:37 AM  
Blogger Too Fat To Fly... said...

Danyele, you look truly stunning!!

You have done so incredibly well - keep up the great work.

Hugs,

Lins xx

7:01 AM  
Blogger Shel said...

I hate to get greedy with all the great pictures and stuff, but today is Wednesday!! How did the new do turn out?? I can't wait to see. Congratulations on the huge milestone. You really do look ma'valous da'ling. xoxo

4:15 PM  
Blogger Mamacita Chilena said...

you look AWESOME! Is that the Kelly Carlson haircut? It looks fantastic on you, I've always wished I could pull off short hair. I can't, you def. can!

As far as that girl's comment goes, brush it off, as long as their are insecure people, there will always be mean people.

8:31 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

What can I say? You look Fabulous!

2:05 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

I'm all about that dress too :) You are doing great.

8:44 AM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

Danyele! You look absolutely gorgeous!!! I'm so excited for you.

12:29 PM  
Blogger GoteeMan said...

Just be you. You do that better than anyone ever could. Don't worry about it - it's not your job to make others comfortable.... and you're not doing anything to make them uncomfortable anyway.

God bless you .
J.

1:11 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

You look traffic-stopping great in that dress, Danyele. I hear you about people feeling threatened - but what's a babelicious gal to do? Pity 'em and move on!

*S*

6:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home