Becoming the Pin-Up Girl

I'm on a journey from obesity to health.. and I'm hoping to reveal my inner Pin-Up Girl along the way ;-)

Sunday, February 03, 2008

Where, oh where, has the Pin-up Girl gone?

This is an email that I sent to a very good friend today.. it explains everything that I've been avoiding posting to my blog. I haven't forgotten about any of you. Life's just been tough.

******

"Hi - omg.. I didn't mean to make you worry. I did get your text and have been meaning to call.. you know how that goes. I know I haven't blogged in 2 months - believe me, it's been on my mind. The major reason is - I was very sick for about a month. The week before Christmas, I passed 3 kidney stones and ended up with such a bad kidney infection that it took 3 antibiotics to finally kill it. I've been referred to a urologist, who ordered a CAT scan to see how many more stones I have. Looked like one to the tech, but it could be two more. My regular doctor also took me off of glucophage, which is a diabetes drug that I've taken for several years for Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome. It's basically an endocrine disorder that makes your body resist the use of insulin.. causing obesity (shock, right?!) among other things and it basically screws up all of the hormones involved in your reproductive system, making fertility very very difficult. Since the surgery, the weight loss has reversed many of the PCOS symptoms, but it doesn't reverse the disorder. So anyway.. her rationale was .."you're not diabetic.. you don't need it".. which is not the reason I was taking it. I take it to help my body use insulin more effectively.. keeping me from being a diabetic and keeping me FERTILE! So long story short.. I've gained 15 pounds back. I'm back up to 180 and very scared. I have an appt on Feb. 12 with an OB/GYN that I've never seen. I'm PRAYING that she knows enough about PCOS to put me back on Glucophage.. that should help me take the extra weight back off. And now that I've got energy back since being so sick.. I think I'm ready to start exercising again. For about 3 weeks, I could hardly get off of the couch. I missed almost 3 weeks of work which was pretty financially devastating..especially at Christmas. Oh - and we had friends from LA in town during New Year's.. something that had been planned for months that I didn't have the heart to cancel. BUT - I (and I should say WE because Chris was just the best partner I could ever wish for during the whole thing) made it through. Yesterday we celebrated our 3 year anniversary together and Thursday is my 34th (eek!) birthday. We're down in T-town celebrating my b-day and my nephew William's very first birthday, which is today. My brother is such a proud daddy.. it's very cool to watch him with his son.

So - that's the story. I promise that I will call when I can sit down and take a minute. It's just been tough.. being away from work for so long.. getting caught up.. then I got to hire a third agent (which is wonderful!).. it's kept me super super busy.

I just haven't known how to post all of this in my blog. Maybe I'll just copy this email and post it. In fact - that is what I'll do.

Thanks for being concerned - I love you guys and miss you all so very much!"


xoxo Danyele

14 Comments:

Blogger Katrina said...

oh danyele!!! i miss you so much and want nothing more than to give you a big hug right now. i am so sorry that you are going through all of this. i know it will all work out somehow and i hope your doctors can get you healthy as well as moving back DOWN the scale again. take care and give me a call when you can.

i love and miss you a ton.

-katrina

9:29 AM  
Blogger Dagny said...

DANYELE!!! I've missed your posts. I'm so sorry to read you've been through some tough times. I'm sure you will make the best decisions for what you need...Sending much strength and HUGZ to you and Chris!
Dagny

10:01 AM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

{{{ Huge Hugs }}}

I've missed you, my friend.

2:52 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

whew - sounds like you've been through the wringer. I have a friend who has lots of trouble with kidney stones, so I've seen how debilitating that is - I'm soo sorry you've had to go through that.

I hope your new OB/GYN knows a lot about PCOS. Fight for yourself, girl!

Thanks for the update - take care!

7:30 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

I am sooooo glad that you posted. I'd keep checking back over and over. Don't be afraid; try to be positive. I know it's easier said than done. I hope your doctors get to the bottom of this!

*hugs*
Donna

6:12 AM  
Blogger Tracy said...

THANK GOODNESS YOUR OK!!!!!

As a fellow PCOS girl.... I feel your pain! We miss you. Get better and know that we are all out here rooting ya on.

7:34 AM  
Blogger Shel said...

I've missed you!!

Ok, number 1, don't "pray" the new GYN has the knowledge you need. Why waste your time if she doesn't? You're paying for her services, call her and talk to her on the phone before you waste your time and money.

Number 2, I realize this is too obvious to be THE solution, but how much WATER are you consuming a day?

Number 3, I'll see what research I can do on the kidney stones and supplements and let you know what I find out. How are you blood tests and when did you have them last?

Number 4, I know it's hard to stay on track when you feel like crap, but you mentioned the weight gain so I have to ask. Is it from strictly from being sick and not being able to exercise or have you started straying from your eating plan? You probably can't control all the crap your body is throwing at you right now, but you can still control what goes into your mouth. If you're staying on track with that, it will be so much easier to get back where you want to be once all the other stuff is dealt with. So hang in there!!

Number 5, I'm sorry you feel like crap. Sending you much love and hugs. xoxo

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:30 PM  
Blogger Miss Lizzy said...

Happy Birthday to my newest WLS sister and cohort in B&B crime...

9:05 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

So happy to see you up and writing again. I've missed you terribly. Reach out if you need to chat-- that what us Sassy gals are good for!

9:12 AM  
Blogger Kim said...

I still miss you.

11:02 AM  
Blogger Michelle "Shelly" said...

Hope you are feeling better. Kidney stones are hell. ~Michelle

1:59 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

This is my first visit to your blog (just joined the Sassy Ring). I also have PCOS and was on glucophage for a while. Personally I couldn't deal with the side effects of the drug, so my doc too me off. Definitely consult with a new doctor to see if she can get you back on. It really does help with the insulin crap. Hopefully the weight loss will help you get to the point where PCOS isn't a big issues anymore --- that's what I'm hoping for myself anyway.
~Pam

12:46 PM  
Blogger bonggamom said...

Hi, I've been lurking on your blog for some time (you're on my blogroll!).. Just wanted to say you're doing a great job, keep inspiring all of us, and BTW I am hosting a small giveaway for Boca Burgers on my blog that you might want to join..

7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home