Becoming the Pin-Up Girl

I'm on a journey from obesity to health.. and I'm hoping to reveal my inner Pin-Up Girl along the way ;-)

Sunday, September 23, 2007

Year one in the life of the pin-up girl

Wednesday was my one-year Surgiversary - how time flies! I had my one-year post-op checkup with Dr. U on Tuesday. All my labs came back great, though my protein was on the low side of normal (I'm going to add a protein drink in the evening) and my B-12 was lower than it should be for someone taking B-12 every day, as I am. So he's going to recheck my labs in 3 months and see how things are progressing at that point. I'm seriously considering B-12 shots. I've read that Madonna is doing vitamin injections.. and look at the energy that woman has at almost 50 years old! Anyway, it's something to consider. And I'm in the 160's - yea!

The most exciting part of the week came Wednesday when Magda, the very fabulous VP of Operations at my agency, invited me to the Macy's Passport Gala event on Thursday night. It's a big fashion show to benefit HIV/AIDS charities.. this was the 25th annual Passport show. It's a big deal.. the "who's who" of San Francisco society is always there.. celebrities.. lots of beautiful people. I said, "of course, I'd love to".. and then I immediately began to panic. "What the fuck am I going to wear?" I thought. I called Chris almost in tears.. I had literally three hours after work to figure something out. He told me to relax, and that he would go with me and we would find something for me wear. He picked me up from the train and we drove directly to Nordstrom Rack. I was there about 10 minutes when I found it.. the perfect dress. A black 40's style cocktail dress by David Meister. Regularly $350, marked down to $80.
I tried it on and it fit like a dream. When I got home, I looked at the website for the event, and that's when my heart skipped a beat - Dita Von Teese was going to be performing at the event! I sat in front of the computer and started to cry. It was like a dream come true - the perfect way to celebrate the new me. Like my own personal coming out party. The next day of work went painfully slow .. I couldn't wait to get dressed and leave for the show. Finally 5 o'clock rolled around and I went into the ladies room to change. As I walked back into the office, every head turned to look at me as I walked by..and let me tell you - jaws dropped! It was the best feeling! Magda and I got our things together and let for Fort Mason, where the show was being held. We walked into the event hall for the pre-party and it was just spectacular. I was so happy to see one of my favorite local artists, Lavay Smith and her Red Hot Skillet Lickers, performing. If you've never heard Lavay Smith,you have to check her out. She does a bluesy-jazz swing kind of thing. "Everyone's Talkin' About Miss Thing" is like my theme song.. and she played it. I was grinning from ear to ear! We watched her perform for a while, then got some drinks and walked around to the booths where many of the hot restaurants in town were serving food. I couldn't eat a thing - I was too excited. Then it was time to walk over to the building where the fashion show was being held. We took our seats (really good seats!) and met up with our host from American Airlines. She was so nice - I thanked her over and over for inviting us. If only she knew how special the evening was for me. The lights went down and then the show began. It was amazing.. the music, the sets, the models and the style - just amazing. I kept thinking to myself, "none of this is out of my reach now". I can be the person on the outside that I've always been on the inside. Well, on a budget.. but you know what I mean! LOL Anyway, then it was time for the finale. The lights went down and then came up.. and there was the trademark champagne glass. And then there was Dita. She was wearing this outfit.. it looked like it was made of diamonds.. it sparkled like nothing I had seen before in my life. On either side of the catwalk, there was a girl dressed in a French Maid costume. As Dita did her seductive, playful strip-tease, she would hand each piece of clothing to one of the maids. When she got down to her corset, I was in awe of how tiny her waist is. It couldn't be more than 18 or 19 inches around! She got all the way down to a bra and panties .. and then she made her way back to the glass. She took a big bottle of champagne, popped the cork, and then slowly poured it down her beautiful body. Then she climbed into the glass, pouring the champagne and writhing around .. it was the sexiest thing I've ever seen. Magda kept looking over at me and smiling.. like she knew what I was feeling. As I sat there, I felt like the luckiest girl in the world. I thought of all of my friends here in the webring.. especially Dagny, and how happy they would be for me. I thought of my sweetheart Chris, who was more excited for me on that night than I was for myself. I thought of all of the toxic people that I've eliminated from my life and how much happier I am without them. And I thought of all of the wonderful people in my life now, who appreciate who I am and love me for me, inside and out. And I realized that I've become the woman that I've always wanted to be.


Yes, there are pics, but they're not great. My camera was on a weird setting and I didn't realize it until I got home.

But here's me:

And this blur is Dita von Teese:
Check this out for really good pics of the famous Champagne Dance.

14 Comments:

Blogger Little Chef On The Prairie said...

You are looking great! :)

Congrats on being a year post op!

:)
Tiffany

5:38 PM  
Blogger Dagny said...

I AM CRYING MY EYES OUT!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, I'm sitting here crying. Nobody makes me cry like you do.

And OMG I love Dita Von Teese. She's the only woman in the world I wish I looked like instead of looking like me.

Dagny

7:44 PM  
Blogger Ammie said...

You look amazing! What an awesome way to celebrate the new you and your new life. Congratulations!

9:00 PM  
Blogger Leah said...

Wow. What a perfect celebration. Thank you for sharing it with us. I could feel your excitement and was overwhelmed by all the amazing feelings.

9:51 PM  
Blogger Tracy said...

OK.. I't Monday morning an this is the first thing I read... I am so happy for you... you almost made me drop a tear in my weight control oatmeal! You look stunning and wow what a coming out party for you! YOU DESERVE IT!

5:53 AM  
Blogger Sheri said...

What a wonderful celebration! Thanks for sharing it.

7:06 AM  
Blogger Katrina said...

You look gorgeous, as usual. Don't you just love the Rack? Sometimes you really have to hunt, but damn they have some great deals!

I can't believe you got to see Dita! You lucky, lucky girl.

Two more days and I will be in California! I can't wait to see you on Saturday!

7:23 AM  
Blogger arielfreak said...

you look WONDERFUL! what a fantastic way to celebrate your anniversary- congrats

7:51 AM  
Blogger Michelle said...

I am smiling ear to ear. I know exactly how you felt...the joy and happiness is overflowing in this post!! Congrats on your year surgiversary what way to celebrate!!

9:35 AM  
Blogger Donna said...

What a way to celebrate ALL that is you. Even better is that you recognize you are now "the woman you always wanted to be."

*hugs*
Donna

12:26 PM  
Blogger Shel said...

It sounds like you had a fantastic celebration!! I'm so proud of you. You look amazing. And so thin! Look at that waist! This is just the beginning. You can go anywhere from here that your little heart desires and there's no doubt that you deserve every single bit of it! xoxo

9:34 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

You inspire me. Thank you. This was awesome.

4:16 AM  
Blogger Lisa Sargese said...

Holy Cannoli! I LOVE the name of your blog!! That pic of you in today's post looks like you're ready to pose. Good for you!

12:30 PM  
Blogger Urban Chick said...

Congratulations...I can't think of a better way to celebrate. BTW, you totally look like a Pin-Up Girl!

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home