Becoming the Pin-Up Girl

I'm on a journey from obesity to health.. and I'm hoping to reveal my inner Pin-Up Girl along the way ;-)

Sunday, March 11, 2007

On the road to ONE-derland * Week Two *

The scale is down one pound this week to 212. I know that I could have lost more this week, but I only went to Curves twice this week. I had originally planned on four days, but ended up going out in the City instead of working out. It was a good trade-off in my eyes - I've been spending time with one of my best friends, J, who had a break-up with his boyfriend of 4 1/2 years. I really feel for him.. it's not easy to suddenly become single again after a long-term relationship. So on Thursday night, Chris and I went to his place after work and then we all went out for the most delicious Thai meal. I have to be careful with Thai food because it is a major trigger food for me. When I was living downtown in SF a few years ago, there was a Thai place on the next block that stayed open until 4am (it served a lot of the late-night party crowd) and I would order massive amounts of take-out and go home and stuff myself with curries and lots and lots of rice. Things have definitely changed since then.. I had about 1/2 cup of green curry with chicken and eggplant and some satay and I was pleasantly satisfied but not in pain. What a freeing feeling that is! Yesterday I took the train to J's place and we went spent a lovely day shopping around his neighborhood in the Sunset district. We walked up and down Irving street, which is largely Asian influenced, with a nice mix of Russian and Mediterranean. I bought lots of ethnic cooking items, all ridiculously cheap. I love shopping in ethnic markets.. it's like taking a mini-vacation without using your passport! I bought some Chinese 5-spice powder, some chili soy sauce, a big bottle of Chinese hot sauce, some good Italian balsamic vinegar, some perfectly-sized little tins of Italian tomato paste, a few pieces of Japanese stoneware for my kitchen (bowls and such) ..those always come in handy, and a really nice heavy bamboo cutting board. All for less than $40. The day was perfect - the sun was shining brightly, I was with one of my favorite people in the world and I felt fantastic in my ever-improving body.

Next week it's down to business though - 4 days (no excuses!) at Curves and no deviations in meals. I'll make a big pot of Taco Soup today for my lunches this week and I have plenty of yogurt in the fridge for my breakfasts. Maybe I'll make a veggie and cheese crustless quiche to mix it up a little. I'm hoping next week will have me on the other side of 210 and closer to ONE-derland! (and those boots!)

5 Comments:

Blogger Dagny said...

Liberating yourself from the stranglehold of food IS an amazing feeling! The trick is to make yourself PREFER that state all the time, long-term and for good. It's tough, but it sounds like you are tapped into the energy needed to DO IT!
Many congratulations Danyele!
Dagny

4:35 AM  
Blogger Shel said...

I'm sorry about your friend, but it sounds like you had so much fun. I'm sure it really helped to get his mind off of things. It's nice that you and Chris can be there for him.

The menu sounds yummy! Did you ever make it to TJ's? What do you think of the yogurt?

3:04 PM  
Blogger Danyele said...

Hey Shel! I still haven't made it to TJ's.. I haven't been to one in since I lived in LA - even though there's one in the next town over ((doh!)) I'll definitely be going this week.. probably on Friday after payday so that I can really get what I want. I'll let you know about the yogurt - I'm sure it's great.

4:26 PM  
Blogger Team Kitty said...

Man, I'm living for the day when I can eat that much without feeling sick. Do you ever eat at Marnie Thai over on Irving? That is also the home of my all time favorite fish spot - Yum Yum Fish. Best sashimi anywhere.

*S*

6:36 PM  
Blogger Danyele said...

Yes, we went to Marnee Thai - such a great place! I'll look out for Yum Yum Fish next time I'm in that neighborhood.. sashimi is one of my new favorite things. It goes down so nicely post-op.

6:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home