Becoming the Pin-Up Girl

I'm on a journey from obesity to health.. and I'm hoping to reveal my inner Pin-Up Girl along the way ;-)

Monday, October 02, 2006

Surviving week two

Tomorrow is my two-week progress appt with Dr. U. I'm excited to see what his scale reads.. mine reads 268 this morning. That's an 18 lb loss in 13 days folks. I can hardly wrap my mind around it.
I am SO HAPPY that week two is coming to a close. I thought I was going to lose my mind at the beginning of the week. I could not stop thinking about food, no matter what I tried. Every TV ad, every restaurant that I passed on the street, every smell.. the food that was all around seemed to be taunting me. I was even dreaming about food. And it was pissing me off. I kept thinking "maybe my surgery didn't work" and even, "my God - will I be one of the failures?"
Thankfully, as I was in the midst of this self-doubt and anxiety, I read a post on Shel's blog from a man named Dana. That post did so much to ease my mind and help me realize that what I was experiencing was TOTALLY NORMAL. Once I realized that, the food thoughts started to drift away. It was actually quite amazing.. I took back control of my thoughts and forced food out of them.
Originally, my weekend was going to be spent with my friend C in Salinas, but our plans changed and we ended up driving to the Central Valley, where my parents live. Saturday was my best friend L's 33rd birthday. As I have mentioned before, L had WLS last August. Chris and I took her out for her birthday on Saturday night and we had a blast. I drove us around to a couple of the local spots and they had a couple of drinks and we all played pool. That evening gave L and I a chance to talk about how I was feeling and what I could expect over the next few weeks.
So now I'm going into week three feeling great - my mind is free of the food obsessing and my body is feeling better and better with every pound lost. Oh - and to celebrate this new phase in my life, I got a fresh new look too. L is a stylist - she gave me a new cut and color - a deep rich brown with a few highlights. I love the color - it really makes my eyes pop. Below are some pics - one of the new do, one from the hospital, and one right after getting home. The pic of me in the hospital upset me when I saw it, but I'm glad that I asked my step-dad to take a few. I can't ever forget that day or the gift that I was given that day. As difficult as this may be, I know that I am so fortunate for this chance at a new life.


10 Comments:

Blogger Shel said...

Absolutely loving the new do!! I'm so glad to hear that you're feeling better mentally and are rewarding yourself by going out and having some fun. Congratulations on the 18 lbs!! You're doing great!

5:17 PM  
Blogger Dagny said...

Hey Danyele! You are in a great place for time to take care of you. Keep working as you are and the right mindset will start to stick!

Don't know if you ever saw my hospital pics but seeing them several months after my surgery made me sob for TWO HOURS!

The hair looks great BTW!

Dagny

5:58 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

So glad that you're home and doing well, Danyele! The early times are difficult, but the results will so be worth it. You're doing great!

6:57 PM  
Blogger ShirleyValentine said...

Danyele,
The first 3 weeks after surgery were the hardest. You are doing great! Your new hair is just the beginning of this wild ride called WLS! You look fantastic.
Congratulations on the 18 pound loss! Start going through your clothes now because before you know it you will be down 2 sizes.
Susan

10:02 PM  
Blogger Donna said...

I love the new hair -- very becoming!

So glad you are doing well and adjusting.

Here's wishing you and Phyllis a healthy relationship!

Donna

10:59 AM  
Blogger Too Fat To Fly... said...

Well done on the fab weight loss! I hope that you appointment goes well tomorrow.

By the way, I lurve you new hair colour. It's gorgeous :-)

Hugs x

1:50 PM  
Blogger Too Fat To Fly... said...

PS: Sorry for the spelling errors. I have a *sticky* R Key, LOL

1:52 PM  
Blogger SignGurl said...

Congrats to you on your new way of life.

5:39 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Love your hair, dear, and glad to hear that things are moving along well for you. I was so glad not to have "flunked" my heart test yesterday. You are a great inspiration! Keep going strong!

6:15 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home